FOR THE LOVE OF SPORTS.
While stadiums across the world dim their lights, teams and players are far from inactive. The comradery of sports expands beyond what is played on a field. The athletes and sports administrations of Orlando continue to join forces to combat COVID-19 in our local community.
Orlando Magic keeps busy off the court. Players and the DeVos family joined together and pledged $2 million toward the compensation fund for Orlando Magic, Amway Center, Lakeland Magic, and Orlando Solar Bears hourly workers. In addition, the Magic COVID-19 resource site provides information on health and wellness, community causes, fundraisers, entertainment options and the latest Magic news. But the support doesn't stop there. Here are a few more ways the team is supporting those in need:
- Magic forward Jonathan Isaac (along with teammate Wes Iwundu) invested in a program with J.U.M.P Ministries called Project Life Now to feed children under the age of 18.
- Magic forward Aaron Gordon provided funding to Orange County Public School's Homeless Student Fund.
- Magic guard D.J. Augustin donated to Krewe of Red Beans, in his hometown of New Orleans, which offers food to frontline healthcare workers
- Orlando Magic broadcasters hosted a virtual fundraiser to assist food-insecure families in Central Florida. The Magic broadcasters made donations to the cause as well
- The Orlando Magic, AdventHealth and City of Orlando partnered for the use of the Amway Center as a medical equipment and supply hub
- Head Coach Steve Clifford donated to the Heart of Florida United Way
- CEO Alex Martins named to the Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force
- Along with the NBA and Fanatics, Magic-branded cloth face coverings are for sale with all proceeds benefiting the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida
Magic Gaming, the Orlando Magic's NBA 2K League team, held a virtual fundraiser last month with its players, local social influencers, Magic center Mo Bamba and Magic Community Ambassador Bo Outlaw. Help From Home raised funds to benefit the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida. The group participated in a number of Twitch streams across six different channels playing games such as NBA 2K20, Call of Duty: Warzone and Fortnite. The players and influencers not only participated in the gameplay, but took questions from fans through the Twitch chat while promoting the fundraiser. And in case you missed it, Magic Gaming kicked off their season with a win against Bucks Gaming last night. You can tune in on twitch and YouTube Gaming to catch all of the upcoming matches. Next up: May 8, 2020, at 9:30 PM vs. Wizards District Gaming.
Orlando City Soccer Club launched a web page for fans to enjoy all things Orlando City. The Stay At Home HQ features interactive activities for the whole family, along with links to watch City Classics. In addition, Orlando City SC launched an #ALLforORL initiative. This program allows fans to recreate a virtual game day experience while supporting local bars and restaurants with a donation or a to-go food order. #ALLforORL t-shirts are also available to benefit the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida.
Even though the Orlando Solar Bears are hibernating, they are still in action. Here are some of the ways they support the community.
- A jersey auction to support the ECHL-PHPA COVID-19 Player Relief Fund ends May 16 at 8:00 PM
- Sales of t-shirts, face masks and bundles of both support Feeding Children Everywhere
- Communicating with fans through the Bear Tracks podcast
Through a new bi-weekly newsletter, Greater Orlando Sports Commissions' Impact Update provides the community with resources and programming options. The most recent issueincludes:
- Local resources for staying up to date on testing sites and government information
- Ways to stay engaged such as virtual date night ideas and shopping from home (like the new CityArts Gallery online shop)
- Updates on all things sports such as will the NBA and the Orlando Magic finish out their 2019-2020 season...
GUEST DOP DJ: PART 2.
Heading up the DOP tunes list this week is special guest and DOP team member, Rose DiDonato. Enjoy!
Ashe | Moral Of The Story
The Presidents of the United States of America | Peaches
Post Malone/Ozzy Osbourne | Take What You Want
Violette Femmes | Blister In The Sun
Mazzy Star | Fade Into You
24KGOLDN | City Of Angels
Fiona Apple | Criminal
Corinne Bailey Rae | Put Your Records On
Billy Joel | Always a Lady
Join us for a special shout out to members celebrating their first anniversary with DOP!
Ion247/Star Asset Security
JA Edwards of America
Orange County Tax Collector
Cheers to another year!
DID YOU KNOW?
If you follow DOP on social media (Psst! see the links below) you may have noticed we are sharing images and information from the 2020 Golden Brick Awards nominated projects. We started with the New Office Development and Design Category and will be highlighting projects by category throughout the next few weeks.
The Annual Golden Brick Awards has always been about the celebration of what we do together. Even though the event is postponed, and the time to honor Orlando's civic, cultural, and corporate leaders in person will come, it is important to recognize these organizations and leaders now.
We hope you will join us in congratulating our 2020 nominees, and we look forward to sharing the winners with you soon.